Alberta recently introduced two new immigration pathways to inspire international graduates to start businesses in Alberta with the hope of contributing to its economic expansion. The new streams known as the International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream and the Foreign Graduate Start-up Visa Stream are part of the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) which nominates individuals for permanent residence in Alberta.
International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream
Launched on October 26, 2020, this pathway targets recent international graduates from Alberta’s post-secondary institutions that want to launch business ventures and startups. In order to meet the requirements of the program, applicants must have a minimum of:
- 6 months of full-time work experience that can be a combination of actively managing or owning the business, or equivalencies such as experience with a business incubator or completion of entrepreneurship program courses
- 2 years of full-time education resulting in a degree or diploma from a designated post-secondary institution in Alberta
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) valid for at least 2 years at the time of submitting the Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 7
- 34% ownership when establishing a new business or buying an existing business
Foreign Graduate Start-up Visa Stream
Launching in January 2021, this pathway is targeted towards international graduates from top American post-secondary institutions to start businesses and put down roots in Alberta with the province having declared that it wants the best global talent to fill the gap within its technology sector. More information regarding this stream will be available in the coming months, make sure to return to this page for all the latest updates!
In last months, provinces such as Ontario have displayed exponential growth within its tech sector and so it is no wonder that Alberta is following suit with its intention to draw global talent and attract investment leading to inevitable economic expansion. With these innovative immigration programs, Alberta will unquestionably be a desirable province to settle for the next generation of entrepreneurs and business owners.
Please refer to our LinkedIn page to get access to online webinars or articles posted on the most recent Canadian immigration updates. To discuss the details of your situation, please reach out to our office and we will gladly assist you.